XPM | Ultra-Fast Nanoindentation
Quantitative Ultra-High Speed Nanomechanical Property Mapping
Hysitron’s XPMTM sets a new industry standard in terms of nanomechanical testing throughput paired with measurement resolution and accuracy. With XPM, more data can be taken in a single afternoon than could be collected in an entire year using traditional nanoindentation methodologies. These exclusive performance capabilities are made possible by the coupling of three industry-leading Hysitron technologies: a high bandwidth electrostatically actuated transducer, fast control and data acquisition electronics, and top-down in-situ SPM imaging. These synchronized technologies can perform 6 nanoindentation measurements per second to achieve comprehensive quantitative nanomechanical property maps and property distribution statistics in a record amount of time.
- Ultra-high speed quantitative mechanical property measurements (6 per second)
- Rapid, high-resolution mapping of hardness and modulus with distribution statistics
- Acquire large quantities of statistically significant data in a short period of time
- 500x faster than traditional nanoindentation testing
- Obtain a robust tip area function calibration within a minute
- Compatible with Hysitron's xSol® environmental control stage for rapid testing throughput under extreme environmental conditions
- 2016 R&D 100 Award Winner
Measure More in Less Time
Nanomechanical testing was specifically developed to measure highly localized mechanical properties. Arrays of individual measurements can be spatially arranged and plotted to generate maps of mechanical property gradients across a surface. Conservatively, a traditional nanoindentation measurement takes ~90 seconds and a 20x20 array would take 10 hours to complete. Utilizing Hysitron’s new XPM ultra-fast property mapping, this same data set can be compiled in a mere 1.1 minutes!