PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter
PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter®
The PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter instrument from Hysitron is the first full-fledged depth-sensing indenter capable of direct-observation nanomechanical testing inside a transmission electron microscope (TEM). The PI 95 has been carefully designed for compatibility with JEOL, FEI, Hitachi, and Zeiss microscopes. With this instrument it is not only possible to image the mechanical response of nanoscale materials, but also acquire quantitative mechanical data simultaneously. The integrated video interface allows for synchronization between the load-displacement curve and the corresponding TEM video. The PI 95 is also highly customizable and upgradable with available heating, electrical, or tribological (scratch) upgrade options to accommodate an expansive range of current and future materials research.
The PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter is uniquely suited for the investigation of nanoscale phenomena. Performing these types of studies in the TEM can provide unambiguous differentiation between the many possible causes of force or displacement transients which may include dislocation bursts, phase transformations, spalling, shear banding or fracture onset.
PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter Features
- Unique miniature and MEMS transducer technologies designed specifically for quantitative nanomechanical testing in most major TEM models
- Load or displacement controlled testing modes for nanoindentation, compression, tension, bending, or scratch testing
- 3D piezoelectric actuator for fine control of test placement and tip-sample alignment in all three directions
- User-changeable conductive probes available in a wide variety of geometries
- Advanced performech® digital controller with 78kHz feedback rate and data acquisition up to 38kHz to capture transient events such as dislocation bursts.
- Proprietary Q-Control mode actively dampens transducer oscillations in the vacuum environment
- Mechanical data synchronization with TEM video with the TriboScan™ software suite
Additional TEM PicoIndenter Information
- Bruker's Hysitron PI Series Brochure
- PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter Information Sheet
- PI 95 TEM PicoIndenter Publications
TEM PicoIndenter Upgrade Options
Add heating capabilities for direct measurement and observation of thermally initiated material transformations, ideal for testing materials that demand reliability under extreme conditions. Learn More
Add testing capabilities for simultaneous measurement of electrical and mechanical properties during nanoindentation, compression, or tensile loading to understand origins of electrical property changes in materials or devices. Learn More
Nanowires and free standing thin films can be mounted and tested in tension using these MEMS fabricated devices. An electrical version of the device further expands the capabilities and enables four point electrical measurements throughout the tensile experiment. Learn More
In-situ tribology sheds light on deformation processes occurring at the sliding interface. Friction properties can be measured while wear evolution is directly viewed. Learn More
Apply an oscillating force to continuously measure viscoelastic and fatigue properties as a function of contact depth, frequency, and time. Learn More