PI 8X SEM PicoIndenter
PI 8X SEM PicoIndenter®
Hysitron’s SEM series PicoIndenter instruments are depth-sensing nanomechanical test instruments that can be interfaced with scanning electron microscopes (SEM). With these systems, it is possible to perform quantitative nanomechanical testing while simultaneously imaging with the SEM. Coupling these two techniques allows the researcher to position the probe with extreme accuracy and image the deformation process throughout the test. These stage-mounted systems are designed for exceptional performance in the electron microscope, with vacuum compatible versions of Hysitron’s capacitive sensor technology and electrically conductive probes to prevent sample charging to maintain the highest resolution imaging during testing. The SEM series features four unique instruments that are designed to meet the in-situ mechanical testing needs of all researchers.
PI 85L SEM PicoIndenter®
The newest version of our dedicated in-situ nanomechanical test instrument, designed for use in SEM but suitable for a variety of platforms and environments. Now featuring a smaller, low profile design ideal for small chamber SEMs, Raman and optical microscopes, beamlines, and more.
PI 88 SEM PicoIndenter®
Hysitron's comprehensive in-situ nanomechanical test instrument for SEM and FIB/SEM. The modular design supports our full suite of testing techniques, now including scratch testing, 800°C heating, sample tilt & rotation stage, and extended range load cell.
Hysitron's SEM PicoIndenter Features
- Unique transducer technologies optimized for nano- and micro- scale in-situ mechanical testing regimes
- 3-axis or 5-axis sample positioning
- Load or displacement controlled testing modes for nanoindentation, compression, tension, or bending tests
- User-changeable conductive probes available in a wide variety of materials and geometries
- Advanced performech® digital controller with 78kHz feedback rate and data acquisition up to 38kHz to capture transient events, such as fracture initiation
- Proprietary Q-Control mode actively dampens transducer oscillations
Additional SEM PicoIndenter Information
- PI 85L SEM PicoIndenter Information Sheet
- PI 88 SEM PicoIndenter Information Sheet
- PI 8X SEM PicoIndenter Publications
SEM PicoIndenter Upgrade Options
Add heating capabilities for direct measurement and observation of thermally initiated material transformations, ideal for testing materials that demand reliability under extreme conditions. Learn More
Add testing capabilities for simultaneous measurement of electrical and mechanical properties during nanoindentation, compression, or tensile loading to understand origins of electrical property changes in materials or devices. Learn More
Nanowires and free standing thin films can be mounted and tested in tension using these MEMS fabricated devices. An electrical version of the device further expands the capabilities and enables four point electrical measurements throughout the tensile experiment. Learn More
Apply an oscillating force to continuously measure viscoelastic and fatigue properties as a function of contact depth, frequency, and time. Learn More
In-situ tribology sheds light on deformation processes occurring at the sliding interface. Friction properties can be measured while wear evolution is directly viewed. Learn More